Aging, acne, or excess sun exposure leaves your skin with scars, wrinkles, sun spots, and pigmentation. Laser skin resurfacing is a facial rejuvenation procedure that uses lasers to overcome these challenges.
The Richmond, VA plastic surgery team is well-equipped to offer state-of-the-art laser procedures to enhance your overall appearance.
What is laser skin resurfacing?
Laser skin resurfacing is a cosmetic procedure that uses lasers to enhance the overall texture and appearance of your skin. This procedure uses a laser beam to target the area. The light energy is converted into heat energy to cause controlled damage to the epidermis, wherein your body reacts to heal the tissue by creating new skin through collagen production.
When is laser skin resurfacing recommended?
Laser skin resurfacing is often the recommended choice of treatment for the following skin issues:
- Age spots
- Acne scars
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Crow’s feet (fine lines around your eye area)
- Uneven skin tone
- Sagging Skin
- Enlarged oil glands
- Warts (type of skin infection caused by a virus)
- Removal of benign (non-cancerous) and malignant (cancerous) lesions
What are the benefits of laser skin resurfacing?
Laser skin resurfacing is an advanced cosmetic procedure that enhances the overall appearance of your skin.
- Minimally invasive with less trauma to the surrounding structures
- No incisions or cuts involved
- Less painful when compared to other treatments
- There are minor side-effects which can be easily managed.
- Provides long-lasting effective results.
- Prevents recurrence
- Offers quick healing with faster recovery
How is laser skin resurfacing performed?
Laser skin resurfacing is an outpatient procedure (doesn’t require hospitalization) performed under anesthesia to ease discomfort.
The procedure is as follows:
- The skin is cleansed to remove excess oil and dirt, if present.
- Your dermatologist begins the treatment with the selected laser.
- The procedure takes around 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- The targeted area will be covered by a protective wrap or dressing.
What is post-procedure care after laser skin resurfacing?
Follow the below-mentioned instructions for quick and optimal recovery:
- You should keep the protective dressing for 24 hours.
- You need to clean the area 2 to 5 times a day with saline or diluted vinegar solution.
- Petroleum jelly has to be applied over the skin to prevent the formation of scabs (a dry, protective crust that forms during healing)
- 5 to 7 days after the procedure, your skin will become dry and begin to peel.
- Keep your skin well moisturized.
- Limit excess sun exposure to your skin.
Laser skin resurfacing is an excellent minimally invasive procedure to enhance your skin texture and appearance. However, follow up with your healthcare professional to maintain the results of the procedure for years to come.